Monday, September 30, 2013

The Point of No Return

... I apologize if I now have some of you singing the soundtrack from The Phantom of the Opera.
... and I apologize if that apology has triggered operatic singing from those of you who only know the title song of that musical.

This past weekend was supposed to be an easy run. Twelve miles - psh, that's nothing at this point. Easy-peasy.

Well, it wasn't. It was tough. I didn't want to do it. My heart wasn't in it.

But, I was at the point of no return. 17 weeks of marathon training with only 1 missed long run and I sure as heck wasn't going to miss another.

So off I went ... hoping things would get better. Meh. They kind of did, they kind of didn't. The miles weren't physically hard in any way, shape or form.

Mentally, though, it was the hardest run of the training cycle.

I'm hoping it was just one of those days, and things will be fine again for the next run.

In any case, it was good mental training for me - and honestly, that's what I need right now. I mean, the only two reasons I'm doing 20 next weekend are 1) it's on the schedule and 2) I've been holding out on a delicious, high calorie ice cream concoction for a while now and I sure as heck am going to earn it next weekend.

Also, ice baths are kind of fun, in the sense that I feel like a real athlete when I take them.

Back to the run this past weekend.
It was surprising, because I really kicked ass in Tuesday's speed sessions, and I had a decent run early on Friday morning.

I would give you more details on Tuesday, except I forgot my Garmin so I ran a 24 minute fartlek of 10K/marathon pace by feel ... and I have no idea how fast I was going or how far I went, but I left my group in the dust. Normally, I would feel badly about that. But it was fun on Tuesday :)

I simply ran 4.5 miles to the local high school track and enjoyed running on that nice surface for awhile. I was able to make myself keep going until mile 7 when I started the trek back. By 11.14, I was done ... and pretty much home anyway. I called it close enough and gave my head, my heart and my legs a short break.

Then I showered, ate a boring breakfast of oatmeal & berries (didn't feel like I had earned my fattycakes) and snuggled with my puppy.

All in all, I guess it was an ok run day. But I really hope my heart is in for the 20 ... or that is going to be really rough. And quite frankly, I really want that ice cream.


  1. I was thinking Kansas, but I'm pretty old school.

  2. Me too, Dave.
    Hey, you're doing great, Eliz! Almost there!